1947: Kris Kringles
Surprise your holiday guests will a delicious dessert that will transport them back to the late '40s. This festive and colorful cookie is ideal for decking out your seasonal tablescape during the most wonderful time of the year.
Craft yummy and oh-so-poppable Kris Kringle cookies for your next holiday party with a little help from the Better Homes & Gardens archives! Read on to see the entire recipe or click the button below to jump to the 1947 BH&G issue.
Kris Kringles Recipe:
What You'll Need:
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup sugar
1 beaten egg yolk
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup cake flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 slightly beaten egg white
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, thoroughly beat shortening and sugar; add egg yolk, orange and lemon peel, and lemon juice.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Chill until firm.
- Once the dough has chilled, scoop dough and form into small balls (about 1-inch in diameter).
- Dip individual dough balls into egg white and then roll lightly in nuts.
- Place each ball on greased cookie sheet.
- Gently press a halved candied cherry into the center of each ball.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 325 degrees.